Thursday, April 21, 2016

Batman: The Long Halloween

Originally I was trying to get The Killing Joke, but instead I got Batman: The Long Halloween because where I got this comic didn't have Joke at the time. I still wanted Halloween, however, since I know it, like Killing Joke, were huge inspirations for The Dark Knight. This being the first comic I read from the '90s and one of the earliest in the Dark Age of comics, I was confused at first when reading the first few issues of the limited series. The story deals with Batman, with help from Captain Jim Gordon and DA Harvey Dent, trying to solve a series of holiday themed murders occurring throughout one year, with all of the murdered being part of different mobs ruling Gotham. What made me confused at first is the intro of certain well known villains like the Joker and Solomon Grundy which at first felt random. It wasn't until the end of it that I realized how clever it was since the whole point isn't the murder investigation but how Gotham goes from being ruled by the mob to being terrorized by the iconic rogues gallery when they all murder the last remaining mob boss of the city. The artwork is very interesting, such as with Batman's large cape or the Joker's large smile with his huge teeth. Over all: 100%
Top list so far:
1. Batman: The Long Halloween
2. Crisis on Infinite Earths
3. Star Trek/Planet of the Apes: The Primate Directive
4. Star Trek: The Next Generation/Doctor Who: Assimilation2
5. Marvel Masterworks: The Avengers Vol. 1
6. Civil War

No comments:

Post a Comment